Wednesday, December 2, 2009


Scott at the Cemetary that he did not want to go to!

The worlds only "man made" geyser in Soda Springs right next to the cemetary.





Over the river and,... over the river and...over the river... and over the river but never through the woods to grandma Wilson's we went for Thanksgiving. We had a nice visit with grandma and enjoyed a reheated dinner. (Grandma's stove doesn't work so I made it all Tues and Wed and warmed it up in the oven) The boys, especially Joshua tried diligently to teach her to play UNO and Ryan and I tried to get her talking, which led to a bit of wondering on my part. Why are the Hearts of the children turned to there fathers so often after there fathers are to old to remember? We asked her about where her and grandpa were sealed and she couldn't remember. (Yes we know we were just trying to get her talking!) Why did I wait to find out that my grandfather was so eager to be baptized that he marched down into the water, ahead of the frightened elder, in spite of the water moccasin there? Why am I wishing Grandpa Staples could teach me all of those funny old songs he used to sing now, when he doesn't and in some cases can't sing them anymore? Do you think if I work more diligently on my and their family history and find those ancestors that we loved/ love /will love etc. that maybe they will know how much I love them even though I didn't show as much interest as I should have earlier? I hope so! We went searching for Great Grandpa's burial sight (Wilson) on Friday. According to the records we have found he is buried in Soda Springs. Well if he was it is not marked. We had a great time looking though even the kids enjoyed the cemetary, much to there chagrin!

2 comments:

  1. Scott is so handsome! Oh, we miss you guys!!!

    I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving with Grandma Wilson. I'm sure it was not traditional in every way, but I am just as sure that it was good for Grandma and your kids to be together.

    I have the same worries and thoughts about my grandparents! What little I do know about them is so precious to me! I have decided, though I have yet to do anything about it, that I really need to start working on my parents. And even myself and James and the kids. I asked my dad once if he knew of any family history work I could be doing to help my grandma. He said the best thing I could do right now is to preserve my own family's history. Maybe someday I'll have our blog printed into a book or something like that. It is turning into quite a family history. I already love looking back at earlier posts!

    Well, I think I'm starting to ramble, but I wanted you to know you are not alone in hoping our grandparents know how much we treasure them.

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!
    Please tell Scott about how cemetaries are the heart of missionary work. I have read on a few missionary blogs that in South Am (on Day of the Dead - like our Memorial Day)... some of the districts go to the cemetary. They set up tables with pass along cards, BofM and they sang hymns... many hearts are touched as they learn they can see their family again! New contacts and teaching appts are made too!

    Grandma looks like she's giving that Uno game a good try and having a fun time with the kids too! I'm sure the meal was great and no-one went hungry! That's too bad you couldn't find a headstone... finding it would have been a gem! Hopefully some more information comes about! When I recently started playing around with some family history - I started to compare it to "Wandering in the Wilderness!" (Ha-ha) I'm sure their something for us to gain from our attempts that sometimes seem futile! Keep it up - the blessings will come!

    ReplyDelete